Saturday, February 25, 2017

Subscription Box Round-Up: February Marvel Collector Corps

Time once again to talk about subscription boxes. This time around, we’ll be talking about the latest Marvel Collector Corps box from Funko.



This month’s theme is Superhero Showdowns, and for once, I didn’t have any of the contents spoiled, except for the fact that one of the items would be a Pop! two-pack.


Opening the box, we see this month’s pin and patch. Both feature excellent choices, in terms of Marvel superhero rivalries.

The patch is Iron Man and Ultron.


The pin is the green Hulk and the red Hulk.

This is the first time Funko has done either a pin or a patch with more than one character on it, so that’s a fun first for this box. (I guess a pair of firsts.)

Rumplestilskin and Gizmo are as curious about this month's contents as I am!

As usual, the card has been placed in the box so that it is the first thing that you see, turned so that the side facing up reveals the theme of the next box.

I love the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I will be particularly looking forward to this box. In lots of ways, this sums up why I will get the Marvel Collector Corps box, but not the DC Legion of Collectors box. I love the DC superheroes from my childhood, but I have not really enjoyed any of their movies. Since there will inevitably be boxes focused on those movies as new ones come out, that will mean boxes featuring versions of the characters that I’m not interested in. Marvel, on the other hand, has not disappointed me once with a movie or TV show, so I am more willing to take these boxes on faith.

This month’s T-shirt is a Pop version of Spider-Man vs the Green Goblin, a pairing that was decided on following a Twitter poll. I think it’s neat that Funko uses fan input like this. I also love the Pop versions on the shirts. I have seen fans complaining about that on Facebook, but honestly, if you are having trouble finding a T-shirt with a normal Spider-Man on it, you aren’t looking very hard.



This month’s exclusive Pops are a Daredevil/Bullseye set. According to the card, this is the first time they’ve done a Bullseye Pop, and this may be the first time they’ve done a Pop of Daredevil in his current black costume, or possibly his Shadowland costume. (I can’t find that version on their web site, and I didn't read Shadowland, so I don't know for sure if this is the current costume or that one.)


As usual, the detail on these figures is really nice. As a bonus, Daredevil comes posed in an action pose, mounted on a clear stand as if he is leaping to attack!

Also included are a pair of Pint-Size Heroes, the first ones I’ve ever received. I like that the packaging shows which hero that you are getting. I got Captain America, in his classic costume with his original shield, and the Red Skull.

I particularly love the expressions on their faces. I may have to look into getting some more Pint-Size Heroes; they don’t take up much room, and are adorable.

Finally, this months comic is Inhumans vs X-Men #1, with a cute Pop cover. I haven’t purchased or read this yet, so I’m looking forward to it.

And that’s the only box I have to write about this week. I did receive the February Gentlemans Box and Nerd Block over the last couple of days, but did not have time to write about them in time for this week’s blog. Look for them in the near future.

Also, this week, some news! 

First up, Funko has announced a fourth subscription box from them, coming soon: Disney Treasures. As you might imagine, as both a Disney fan and a Funko fan, I am all over this, especially considering that they have specifically said that there will be content from the Disney Parks. I’m hoping for a Pop Ride of a Jungle Cruise boat at some point. So far, they haven’t actually announced the cost or schedule for the box or opened it for preorders yet, but you can sign up for email notifications here.

Also, some time ago, I enthusiastically wrote about a series of novellas based on a childhood favorite TV series, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. At the time, I said that I was eagerly awaiting the continuation of the series. At long last, the publisher announced the next two books in the series, coming in June and September respectively. They can be preordered from Amazon.com here and here.

Finally, this week’s Pop of the Week is kind of a twofer. 




I chose Agent Carter, which I own in both the original paint job and a sepia variant. I love the Agent Carter TV series; I’m a sucker for adventures in period settings, and Haley Attwell’s Peggy Carter is a fantastic character. She is strong and smart and doesn’t ever need a man to save her. I truly wish her show was still on the air, and I will always support this character. (Although I didn’t buy the sepia Pop just for the sake of buying it; I really think it looks pretty cool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment