Sunday, March 11, 2018

What's In the Box?!?: Marvel Collectors Corps Animal Instinct

While it’s been a while since I’ve blogged about a Funko subscription box here, I still love them. Sadly, the boxes in their current form are coming to an end. Funko has announced that they will be partnering with a retailer or retailers for a new iteration of those boxes, but there are no details yet as to what form those will take. Hopefully, it’ll still be something we will enjoy. However, while it’s a bit bittersweet, here is my unboxing blog for what may be the final Marvel Collector Corps box, whose theme is Animal Instinct.



Funko raised some eyebrows with this theme, considering it was scheduled to come out at the same time as the Black Panther movie. While other Marvel movies received boxes devoted to those films, Funko chose to go with a more general theme this time around. Concerns that this film wouldn’t be as popular, due to the racist response to it? I hope not. Certainly, Funko produced plenty of regular Black Panther merchandise, so I don’t know if that’s really the reason.


Regardless, here’s what’s inside the box.

As with many recent boxes, the traditional cover flap with the usual pin and patch is gone. So is the card announcing the next box’s theme and detailing the contents of this box. Obviously, since there is no next box scheduled, there’s nothing to announce on that front. However, I’m disappointed at the lack of information on this box’s products.

Those complaints aside, I’m otherwise pleased with what I got this month. First out of the box is a T-shirt featuring Howard the Duck!


I love Howard, and don’t have any T-shirts featuring him. So I’m pleased with this. (So is Gizmo, as you can see from today’s introductory photo.)

I’ve made no secret of my love for Rocket Raccoon, so I was also excited to receive a new pen with a Rocket topper, and a set of Rocket post-its. New favorite pen!



The only down side to the post-its is if I use them, I’ll eventually run out.

While there’s no pin this time around, we do get a patch. It’s larger than normal, and features household favorite Squirrel Girl. My wife may be claiming this one for her jacket.


Finally, we do get two toys this time around: a Pop! and a Wobbler. This is my first Wobbler. And, to perhaps help calm those demanding a Black Panther box, it’s a Black Panther figure. (The Pop! is Spider-Man villain Rhino.)




The Black Panther Wobbler has a lot of fine detail sculpted onto it, and looks gorgeous.


I really like the textures on the Rhino Pop! I have to admit, I hadn’t realized that he’s got rhino eyes on the sides of his headpiece, even though his entire face—including his eyes—is exposed. That just looks kind of weird, and is a detail I had never noticed in the comics. Now I’m going to have to go back and check. The extra eyes have probably been there the whole time, and now I’m never going to notice anything else.



The art on the inside of the box is pretty nice, too. As usual, I’m not saving the boxes, no matter how pretty. But I did take more photos than usual.




And that’s it for this month’s box, and possibly the Marvel Collector Corps altogether. We still have the last Star Wars Smugglers Bounty box, the last Disney Treasures box, and the last DC Legion of Collectors box coming to us, and I’ll probably post those as they come. Otherwise, that may be it for the Funko collector boxes. Le sigh.


Here’s this week’s Trekker Kickstarter update: they’ve passed the first stretch goal, and are about $1500 away from their second. If you haven’t read my post about why I love Trekker, and why I want to see this campaign find the success it deserves, please check it out.

And that's it for this week. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment