Friday, March 4, 2016

Condiment Corner: Chi-Daw-Go Chicago Style Hot Dog Sauce

As anyone who has seen me knows, I like the food. I particularly like trying different sauces and condiments that I’ve never tried. From time to time I will showcase them on this blog.

A new favorite for hot dogs is Chi-Daw-Go Chicago Style Hot Dog Sauce from Chili Rocks. I found it at the Butcher Block, and since I love Chicago style hot dogs, I thought I would give it a try.

As you can see from the label, it ostensibly contains all the stuff that you would put on a Chicago dog, all mushed up into a paste. What’s amazing is that you can actually taste the distinct flavors. I particularly like how I can taste the tangy spice of the sport peppers, but it doesn’t overwhelm the other flavors. 

Obviously, the preference would be to put all the ingredients on a Chicago dog separately, but that’s a lot of stuff to keep around the house for the occasional hot dog. I think this is an adequate substitute. It tastes great on the Wagu dogs we get from Butcher Block. My wife thought it was a little too spicy for her taste, so be warned if that’s something you’re sensitive about. (And they rate the spiciness as a 1 on their scale on the label, so I don’t think my wife will be trying any of their other sauces any time soon.) 

Speaking of hot dog condiments, the hot dogs were cooked in a mixture of Sabrett’s onions in sauce (apparently a New York hot dog traditional topping) and beer, and then finished on the grill, a recipe I got from the Meatwave blog. So, between the quality of the meat in the hot dogs, the flavors of the sauce they simmered in, and the Chi-Daw-Go Sauce, these were very tasty indeed.



Any condiments that you particularly enjoy? Please let me know in the comments.

1 comment: