Sunday, April 30, 2017

What's in the Box?!?: Marvel Collector Corps April 2017

About a week after receiving the first Funko Disney Treasures box, the latest Funko Marvel Collector Corps box arrived. This month’s box features Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, and as a longtime fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy in general, and Rocket Raccoon in particular, I had been eagerly awaiting this box. So let’s take a look inside.




Inside the box’s lid—decorated with the face of breakout star Groot—we find the usual patch and pin.


The patch is a nice image of Star-Lord wearing his mask.


This month’s pin, featuring Gamora, looks even more detailed and realistic than previous pins. It’s a beautiful pin, and I’m happy for anything that features Marvel’s female characters.


As usual, upon opening the box proper, we see the card announcing the next theme. Just as this month’s box ties in with the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, the next box ties in with the next Marvel movie, Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I realize that we just had a Spider-Man box last year, but since he’s one of my favorite Marvel characters, I’m fine with more Spider-Man items. Not only were the ones from the last Spider-Box pretty cool, but it’ll be neat to get stuff that ties in with the movie (presumably).

The reverse side of the card details the items in this month’s box; as usual, I’ll include it at the end of this blog.

Ordinarily, I try to fastidiously avoid spoilers for these boxes, beyond whatever Funko reveals themselves. So, thanks to Funko, I knew what at least one item would be. My wife had come across complete details of this box, and while she had teased me about how much I would love it, she was able to resist the urge to tell me, and I resisted the urge to ask.



One item that was spoiled for me on a comics news site was right on top of the box. In this case, I’m glad it was spoiled: it was a copy of the new comic, Secret Empire #0, which was released on Wednesday. In this one instance, I was glad I knew this was coming in the box, because it meant I knew not to purchase it digitally.

The Secret Empire series and the stories in Captain America leading up to it have been pretty controversial among comics fandom. So controversial, in fact, that even though I have really been enjoying the Captain America stories and was really excited to read this issue, I don’t want to talk about it. I feel myself getting defensive whenever I think about it, and that’s not how I want to feel about something I enjoy.

Having said all that, this is a pretty cool exclusive variant cover on what I felt was a really cool comic.

Lifting up the comic, I saw the big item that my wife knew I would love: a Dorbz Ridez of Star-Lord in his ship, the Milano.


I love the Funko Dorbz line, I love the Dorbz Ridez line, and we both love the Milano. This was packaged with one of the wings removed; after attaching it, I can’t figure out how to remove it. So this will go on permanent out-of-the-box display in our house, which we are fine with.





It’s a fairly detailed model of the ship, it looks gorgeous, and the Dorbz face manages to capture the feel of Chris Pratt’s attitude. 


I was really happy to see that this box included a T-shirt, because I need something to wear to the movie when we see it next Friday. And I was not disappointed. I’m glad that it’s got the Pop! versions of the characters, because that makes it feel a little more exclusive to the Collector Corps box. (I’m disappointed it doesn’t include Nebula in the illustration, but I’ll survive.)




The final item is this month’s Pop!, the item that Funko had revealed before the release. It’s an adorable pairing of Rocket and Groot. As a bonus, Groot’s head is a bobblehead, as is Rocket’s. So cute! I love the general-release Rocket Pop!, with him blasting off with his rocket-pack (featured a few weeks ago as my Pop! of the Week). But this may replace that as a new favorite.


As promised, here is the side of the card detailing the contents.

Also noteworthy this month: the decoration inside the box is particularly cool.





As usual, another great box from Funko Collector Corps. We’ve had such great experiences with the other Funko boxes, we’re going to take the plunge and try the DC Legion of Collectors box from them.

Because this week is all Funko stuff, I am again foregoing the Pop! of the Week. 

What’s your favorite item from this box?

No comments:

Post a Comment