Sunday, August 12, 2018

What's in the Box?!?: August Marvel Collector Corps box

As I have mentioned earlier, Funko is no longer producing their subscription boxes on their own, instead licensing them out to other retailers. I think the Disney Treasures box has been licensed to Hot Topic; I wouldn’t know for sure, since it was sold out from their site before I even heard about it. They haven’t announced who is taking over the DC Legion of Collectors box or the Star Wars Smugglers Bounty box yet. However, the first new Marvel Collector Corps from Amazon.com arrived the other week, featuring Deadpool, and here’s what’s inside.


I have to admit, Deadpool is not my favorite Marvel character, not by a long shot. I have read stories from all across his history, and many Deadpool stories by some of my favorite creators, and they tend to leave me cold. I did enjoy the first movie, but haven’t seen the second. And more recently, I’ve started reading the latest Deadpool comic series, because it’s written by Skottie Young, the creator of I Hate Fairyland. I’m enjoying it more than I have other Deadpool comics, so between that and the completist mentality, I went ahead and subscribed, starting with this box, knowing full well what the theme would be.

From the start, the box is clearly different from the Funko design. It does show the theme of the box on the outside, but I kind of like the brown unfinished cardboard look of the Funko boxes. Regardless, it’s just the box, so I don’t really care too much about it. It did come delivered inside of an Amazon box, instead of on its own. That was kind of disappointing; it was always fun to find the Funko boxes in the mailbox or on the porch and immediately know what had arrived.


Inside, there’s nothing to hide the contents once you open it, and no information card describing the contents.


The big item is a Pop! Ride of Deadpool on a unicorn. I get that Deadpool on a unicorn is some kind of Deadpool meme, but, like I said, I’m mostly out of the Deadpool loop. So all I know is it’s a nicely sculpted toy.





There’s also a Deadpool Pocket Pop! keychain.


And a Deadpool luggage tag in the shape of a Dorbz. It’s a nicely designed tag, and sturdy, but, as with the Clone Trooper tag in the recent Smugglers Bounty box, I don’t know what I’m going to do with it.


Finally, there’s a truck-shaped taco holder. I wasn’t sure what it was at first; I think it took both my wife and myself to figure it out. This will come in handy when we eat tacos, I guess.


Overall, I feel like Amazon delivered okay value for money for their first box. The cost was like $30, and we got a Pop! Ride, a Pocket Pop! and two other items. I would have liked another pin and patch, like we used to get, but Funko was getting away from that stuff too. I can’t get too excited about the subject matter, but I knew it was going to be Deadpool when I ordered it, so it’s not like I didn’t go into that with my eyes open.

The next box from Amazon is a Venom theme. That’s another character I hadn’t been a fan of, but I’ve gotten much more interested in him in the last couple of years, since he joined Guardians of the Galaxy. I’m really enjoying the latest Venom comic, so I don’t think I will skip this box, either. We’ll see about what’s in it once it arrives, I guess.


And that’s it for this week! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment