Sunday, August 5, 2018

What's in the Box?!?: July Funko Smugglers Bounty

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, Funko is discontinuing their subscription boxes, instead licensing them out to other retailers to put together. Already, Amazon.com has released the first of their new Marvel Collector Corps boxes, and I’ll talk about that soon. Hot Topic released a Disney Treasures box, but it sold out before I could order one, and I’m pretty ticked about that. I don’t know where the Smugglers Bounty box will end up, but I hope I’ll be able to continue getting it. In the meantime, I received the Revenge of the Sith box last month, which will be the last one coming directly from Funko. What’s in the box? Let’s check it out!


As has been the case for quite some time now, there’s no special flap featuring this month’s pin and patch, and no card explaining the contents. So, as soon as I opened the box, it was clear what the big item was.


We have one other Star Wars Movie Moments Pop! set in our collection; the battle between Luke and Darth Vader in Cloud City. This one features young Obi Wan battling a Dark Side Anakin Skywalker above the lava flows of Mustafar. Of course, fans will know this is the battle where Obi Wan defeats Anakin, causing the injuries that lead to him being turned into the cyborg Darth Vader that we all know and love.


The detail on the piece is pretty cool, and I really like the yellow “turned to the Dark Side” eyes on the Anakin figure. The tilted base on the lava is another nice touch, as is the translucent plastic the lava is molded in.


The other figure in this box is a “Mystery” Mini. I put “mystery” in quotes, because the box makes it pretty clear who it is: Emperor Palpatine.


We don’t have a lot of Mystery Minis in our collection. I’m not a fan of the blind box crapshoot school of collecting. However, most of the ones we have are Star Wars ones, from both The Last Jedi and Solo. I like the look of them; they’re just hard to collect. Between the detail on the costume, the incipient deformities on his face, and the Force lightning coming from his hands, this is another great-looking figure.


While they aren’t featured on the box flap, this box does come with both a pin and a patch.

The pin is a nice portrait of Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu.


The patch is particularly cool, showing the two sides of Anakin Skywalker. I felt this was particularly appropriate for a box featuring the movie where he transitions from one to the other.


Finally, there’s a luggage tag showing a Clone Trooper receiving Order 66. I like the design and feel of these luggage tags, but I only got so many bags, you know? So this item is the most likely to get stored away.


And that’s it for this box, and for Funko’s Smugglers Bounty subscription. It is certainly not their finest box, but better than other recent ones from other lines. (I haven’t even bothered to blog about those. This blog is called, “This Makes Me Happy” for a reason.) Not a lot of items, but the Movie Moment set is a big-ticket item, and the Palpatine Mystery Mini is pretty neat.


That’s it for this week! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment