Sunday, April 29, 2018

What's in the Box?!? Funko Marvel Collector Corps April 2018

I’m feeling a little down today, I have to admit. It’s just been a crazy week, with another crazy week ahead, and a busy weekend in the middle. However, yesterday, I got to take a break and go see Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War with my wife. I thought it was a great Avengers movie. The filmmakers managed to capture on the big screen the same feelings I got reading comics like Infinity Gauntlet and Crisis on Infinite Earths and all those other great superhero crossover stories when I was a kid.

Tying in with the release of the movie, Funko delivered what appears to be their final Marvel Collector Corps box. The theme this time around is Infinity War, and when I picked it up off the porch, it was a big one. (You’ll have to take my word for it; for once, Gizmo wasn’t interested in jumping inside the box to show the scale.) Do the contents live up to the excitement of the huge box? Is the Marvel Collector Corps going out with a bang? Let’s check it out!


As has been the case for several boxes now, there’s no top flap concealing the contents, no pin, no patch, and no card describing the contents of the box. I’m just pointing that out; there’s no point in complaining now that Funko is ending the boxes altogether. Still, that stuff was all fun, and I hope if Funko works with a retailer to bring these boxes back, they consider bringing those elements back.


Upon opening, we see the contents pretty much dominated by this month’s exclusive Pop!: Thanos—the movie’s villain—in his ship, the Sanctuary 2. (I’m not sure if the ship is named in the movie or not.)


Out of the box, this piece is indeed huge. In fact, I’m not quite where we’re going to put either him or Orville the Albatross from this month’s Disney Treasures box. I think we need to buy a new curio cabinet.



The detail on the piece is pretty nice, particularly on the Infinity Gauntlet. However, my wife commented that the pose makes him look like he’s telling kids to get off his lawn, and now I can’t imagine him saying anything else.


Next item out of the box is a pair of key caps, featuring Iron Man and Gamora. I learned from MarvelToyNews.com that some boxes contained a set that included Spider-Man and Thanos. Honestly, I would have been okay either way, so I’m not complaining. (And I wouldn’t have even known, since we don’t get information about the items in the boxes any more.)


These are cute, but I don’t think they fit any of my keys, so they are probably not going to actually get used.

Next, we get a nice scarf. It’s a pretty Iron Man design, and much more likely to be worn by my wife than me.


Finally, we get a heat change mug featuring the Infinity Gauntlet. It’s pretty nifty, and I thought a video would do it more justice than just before and after photos. I apologize for my shaky hands, but Rumplestilskin makes a brief appearance towards the end, so I’m not going to retake the video.

I like these heat-change coffee mugs. I have a Doctor Who one that is starting to flake off, so I’ll be using this on mornings that I need to give myself a smile.[

And… that’s it. The Thanos Pop! and the mug are pretty cool, so the box isn’t a failure. However, it’s kind of an unimpressive end to what had been a pretty cool series of boxes full of exclusive collectibles. I stopped getting the Loot Crate boxes when it started feeling like they were being filled with whatever stray pieces were laying around the office, and that’s kind of how this box felt as well. 

On the other hand, this month’s interior box art really caught my eye, so I took photos of all of it, as well.







And still, the Infinity Gauntlet mug makes me smile, so I will end on that happy note. 

Please feel free to share your thoughts about this box in the contents, and I’ll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment