Sunday, October 15, 2017

What's in the Box?!?: October Funko Disney Treasures

First, apologies for not posting anything last week. I was sick the whole weekend, and pretty much all this week. But, tired of just sitting around reading comics, I decided it was time for another Funko subscription box unboxing! This time around, it’s the new Disney Treasures box! This month’s theme—appropriate for the Halloween season—is Haunted Forest. As usual, Funko had revealed one of the items, but the rest were a complete mystery. Would there be an item from Nightmare Before Christmas? Haunted Mansion? Join Gizmo and me, and find out.


A Haunted Forest destination sticker joins the others on the box (with the earlier destination stickers printed on). The sticker design features an owl, which automatically endeared it to my wife, who loves owls.

The patch this month is a Pop! version of the Magic Mirror from Snow White, the first Disney feature to include a scary forest. As usual, the patch is shaped to fit together with the other first year patches to make one big mega-patch.

The pin is a Pop! version of Jafar, from Aladdin, a movie that features no forests, nor any hauntings. So I’m not sure how this fits into the theme, but it’s a nice pin, and it’s got the official Disney pin trading Mickey-shaped pin back that will make it collectible on that market as well. (As if I’m going to sell any of this stuff.)


Upon opening the box proper, we see the contents information insert, which I will show at the end of this entry.

Lifting the insert reveals the hoped-for Nightmare Before Christmas item: a trick or treat bag with a glow-in-the-dark Pop! version of Zero, Jack Skellington’s dog. We’re not going to be using it for trick or treating ourselves, but it’s still a cute bag.


Under the bag, we find the rest of the contents of this box: a Pop!, a Dorbz, and the usual Mystery Mini in a collectible tin box. The Pop! is the item Funko had revealed: Maleficent in her dragon form from Sleeping Beauty.

My wife loves dragons, and particularly loves the Maleficent dragon (also known as Murphy, from the Disney Parks Fantasmic show), so she had been very excited about this Pop! And it is indeed a cool Pop! It’s also the biggest Pop! that Funko has included in a subscription box, they claim. I don’t know how it compares to the Tauntaun or landspeeder Pops in the Smugglers Bounty boxes; maybe it’s the largest single figure? 


The Dorbz is Cruella de Ville from 101 Dalmatians. My favorite details on the figure are the eyeshadow and the tails on the back of the collar of her coat. 



Finally, the Mystery Mini tin box made it clear that we would be getting a Haunted Mansion item after all. The image on the top of the lid pretty much gave away who it would be.





As you probably guessed, it’s the Hatbox Ghost! He’s so cute! This is the first transparent Mystery Mini Funko has included in a subscription box, they claim. (Sometimes, it feels like they are kind of reaching to make it seem like they are including “firsts.”)

Here is the contents insert.

On the reverse side, we see the map to the first year of Disney Treasures, showing that the next box, due in December, is Snowflake Mountain. I’m predicting something from Frozen, and something (maybe the Mystery Mini) from the Matterhorn attraction at Disneyland. We’ll see!

And that’s it for this month’s Disney Treasures box. What was your favorite item? Let me know in the comments.

Because this whole post is about Funko, I do not have a Pop! of the Week to share this week. However, I do have a giveaway! Thanks to Amazon.com overcorrecting for a shipping problem, I have a copy of Galloway's Gamble by Howard Weinstein to give away. This is a Western novel by an author whose science fiction (okay, Star Trek) work I have enjoyed. I haven't actually read it myself yet, but it's an homage to the classic series, Maverick, which I love. If you are interested in receiving this free book, please let me know in the comments.



See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness...that Hatbox Ghost Pop is so cool! As is Maleficent. What fun!

    ReplyDelete