Sunday, October 1, 2017

What's in the Box?!?: September Star Wars Smugglers Bounty

Apologies for not posting last week; I was feeling pretty stressed and pressured. However, I’m back on the blogging horse. This week, it’s time for this month’s Funko Star Wars Smugglers Bounty unboxing!


This month’s theme is Jedi, and features a nice illustration of Yoda on the outside of the box, only slightly Pop-ified.

Upon opening, we see the usual flap with the pin and patch. (Clearly, while Funko may be changing stuff up a little in their boxes, as evidenced by the lack of a pin in the most recent DC Legion of Collectors box, they aren’t necessarily making wholesale changes across the line.)

The patch this month is a nice image of Obi-Wan Kenobi, from somewhere between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, if the color still visible in his greying beard is anything to go by.

The pin is Plo Koon, who was mostly a background Jedi in the movies, but had quite a bit to do in the Clone Wars TV series.

Upon opening the box, I was a bit disappointed to see that, once again, Funko has done away with the cards explaining the contents of the box. I liked those cards, and the background detail they provided as far as the making of the items. Plus, while I’m a big enough nerd to know who the characters in this box are, I don’t always know every single Star Wars character, especially some of the more obscure ones that show up in these boxes. So the guide to the contents was fun and helpful, and eliminating it just feels like penny-pinching.

The first item out of the box is a nice new T-shirt, featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi in his prime.

Once I lifted the T-shirt out of the box, all the other contents were clearly revealed.

I’m a sucker for plush toys, and this plush Yoda is absolutely adorable. I believe I have another plush Yoda somewhere in the house, wearing a Santa hat. We only take that one out for the holidays, so it’s nice to have a Jedi master guarding the house year-round. 

My wife asked if it depicts the younger Yoda from the Clone Wars era, or the older Yoda from the original trilogy. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I married her.


On the more obscure end of the spectrum, we get a Pop! of Aayla Secura, a Twi’lek Jedi. I actually know who she is. She makes an appearance during the Order 66 sequence in Revenge of the Sith, but she also played a pretty big role in the Star Wars comics that Dark Horse Comics published, by (I think) John Ostrander and Jan Duursema. I read a lot of those comics, because they’re a pair of great creators (still waiting on their new graphic novel that I helped Kickstart a while ago). Seeing this figure kinda makes me want to reread those comics; I believe they are all available on Marvel Unlimited.


The other figure—which Funko had revealed before the box came out—is a Clone Wars-era Obi-Wan Kenobi. Since the Cantina Smugglers Bounty box had included a New Hope-era Ben Kenobi, now I have bookends!

And that’s it for this month’s box. While I’m not going to pick a Pop! of the Week in addition to the two that came with this set, I do have a special giveaway! I have a Smugglers Bounty-exclusive Force Awakens TIE Fighter Pilot Pop! to give away to the first person who requests it in the comments.

That’s all for this week. See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment