Sunday, October 29, 2017

What's in the Box?!?: October Marvel Collector Corps

November brings with it a new movie from Marvel: Thor: Ragnarok! Along with it comes a new Marvel Collector Corps box from Funko. The theme? Thor: Ragnarok! Dismissed as coincidence! Let’s take a look and see what we got.

For starters, this box is physically small than many of the recent boxes from Marvel (or, indeed, any of the Funko subscriptions). It can barely contain one cat!


The box art features Hela, who is being introduced in this movie. I give Funko credit for not featuring the obvious leads on the outside of the box; after all, what difference does the outside really make? People aren’t buying these for the box art. So it might as well be cool and interesting, rather than feature the obvious marquee players.


Aside from the smaller box, there was another surprise as soon as I opened it: no patch or pin on the top flap. Instead we immediately see the card for the next box, which features the Hulk. (I’m pretty excited about next month’s box already; I love the Hulk. Funko has already posted a spoiler for one of the items, which is a 2-figure Pop! set.) 


I have to admit, the absence of the pin gave me a little twinge of anxiety. The last time a box skipped a pin, it was the Legion of Collectors, who claimed that they had replaced it for that month with a set of stickers. As I wrote at the time, they’re nice stickers, but given my choice, I prefer the pin. Would this box include a similar clunker? Let’s move the card aside and take a look.


The first item out of the box is a Hulk beanie. It’s not often that I need a hat here in Vegas, but this one is adorable, with its Hulk helmet design and the Pop! Hulk patch on it.


It’s so adorable, in fact, that I took a rare selfie. Note the T-shirt that I was wearing that day; it’s one of my wife’s favorites.


Fortunately, instead of stickers or a patch, we got magnets. Featuring Pop! versions of Thor, Loki, the Hulk, and Hela, these are super-cute. Sadly, only the side of our refrigerator is magnetic, so we have limited room for magnets (we used to collect them every time we took a trip) but these are small enough I think we will find room.


The next item is another Funko first: a fidget spinner! This one features six different characters on it. As you can see in these videos, it’s a hit.



The box did include a pin after all, loose in the box. It’s a nice depiction of Hela.


The item we are probably least likely to use is the deck of playing cards. The art on the back is nice, but the cards are regular playing cards, as far as I can see. It would have been cool if the face cards had been Marvel characters, but they just seem to be the regular designs.



Finally, the two big items are this month’s Pops. We get Thor and Loki, and I believe the exclusive elements are that they are wearing their helmets.





The detail on the Thor figure is particularly nice, I think.

I also really liked the interior box art this time around, as well.



Here’s the insert card describing the contents.


And that’s it for this box! No Pop! of the Week this week, since I covered the Pops in the box. What was your favorite item?


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment